If you need fiber, especially soluble fiber, in you diet menu then beans are a good choice. Beans are rich in protein, complex carbohydrates and iron. 1 cup of cooked beans contain 9 to 13 grams of fiber. Soluble fiber may help lower blood cholesterol. Here is how to make healthy mixed bean salad with recipe from Mayoclinic
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsalted green beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsalted wax beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsalted kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsalted garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- Sugar substitute, if desired
- In a large bowl, combine the beans and onions. Stir gently to mix evenly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the orange juice and vinegar. Add sugar substitute for desired sweetness.
- Pour the orange juice mixture over the bean mixture. Stir to coat evenly. Let stand 30 minutes before serving.