The lime is a small citrus fruit, like a small orange, with skin and flesh that are green in color. The pulp of the lime taste sour, and the fruit contains twice the amount of juice as the yellow, larger lemon. The juice, as a drink, makes one of the best thirst-quenchers. The acid content of lime is known to slow down the oxidation of fresh-cut fruits and vegetables, thus preventing discoloration and acting as a preservative. This fruit very good for your health.
Per 100 gm of Lime contain: Vitamin B: Thiamine .04 mg; Riboflavin: trace; Niacin: .1 mg; Vitamin C: 27 mg; Calcium: 40 mg; Iron: 6 mg; Phosphorus: 22 mg; Fat: .1 gm; Protein: .8 gm; Calories: 37.
Health Benefits of Lime:
- The vitamin C content in lime increases the body’s resistance to disease, aids the healing of wounds and prevents damage to the eyes.
- Vitamin C is also helpful in maintaining the health of the teeth and other bones of the body. It prevents decay and loosening of the teeth, dental caries, toothache, bleeding of the gums and fragility of bones.
- The rind of the fruit also has medicinal properties. It contains a volatile oil which is used in medicine for improving digestion and removing wind
- Lime contains by far more vitamin C than the lemon. A glass of warm water with lime juice and a teaspoonful of honey is an ideal remedy for cold and dry cough.
- Lime juice is a pep-up in cases of listlessness and a rundown feeling due to vitamin deficiency.
- The pectin content in fruit pulp is said to be beneficial in lowering blood cholesterol.
- Lime is considered highly beneficial in the treatment of digestive disorders.
- The lime juice is of great value in constipation, when it is taken first thing in the morning in a glass of warm water.
- The citric acid in limes has an alkaline reaction in the system which can relieve peptic ulcers.
- Few drops of warm lime-juice diluted with water should be instilled in the eyes in case of conjunctivitis. Its regular use with pure rose water in the ratio of 1:4 is helpful in preventing old-age cataract.
- Lime juice diluted in warm water was proven valuable in cystitis. It gives relief to burning sensation and also stops bleeding in cystitis.
- The lime juice is also excellent for weight reduction. Fresh juice’ of a lime mixed in a glassful of water and sweetened with honey should be taken every morning on empty stomach in case of obesity.
- Lime contain limonene, this phytochemical are potent detoxifiers with anti-biotic effect that is protective against bacterial poisoning.
- The potent anti-viral properties in lime can kill cholera bacilli within a very short period of time. Drink one part juice and one part water regularly.
- Lemon peels when rub on dry or scaly skin can restore softness and add moisture to the skin.